Monday, January 22, 2007

What is with pre-teens and swearing?

I was waiting at the bus stop this morning for the 135 bus to SFU when I encountered one of my top 5 pet peeves. Beside me waiting at the bus stop were a group of pre-teenagers, who are probably in the age range of 10-14, swearing continuously in Cantonese. For those who did not know, Cantonese swear words are more effective to piss someone off compared with English swear words. Why? Due to the fact that Cantonese swear words are more ruthless, more targeted to an individual’s family and the words usually revolves around harsh sexual content. Also, I think it is because English swear words have become (for some people) their style of speech and therefore is less effective. For example, friends can call each other ‘female dog’ as a way to welcome one another. Well, you can also welcome one another as ‘female dog’ in Cantonese, but it definitely does not sound as smooth and normal as the English sounds. For those who disagree, please let me know. I don’t mind having a whole new perspective in the swearing part of the world. I remember a time when I got really angry and frustrated with the content of language this young boy was using when speaking with his friend. He was able to use at least 3 Cantonese swear words in each of his short sentences. It made me wonder if he even understood what he was saying. Truthfully! Who would wish for their friend’s whole family to die? For whoever’s sake! Leave the families out of the conversations if they’re going to be wished upon to die. Well, I did not do anything about those pre-teens who swore like maniacs because I was taught to mind my own business. However, I let the people around me know how much I dislike Cantonese swear words. I would never allow swear words to become a part of my daily speech.

1 comment:

M said...

I hope someone will rant about skanky teenage girls too. Is it just me, or does it seem like they're getting younger and younger? (damn that makes me sound old) No but seriously. Put on some clothes.