Sunday, January 28, 2007

Road Hazard

As a driver it is important to follow the rules of the road in order to minimize and prevent accidents from occurring, but rules are not always followed by everyone. I find that people tend to forget about the basic procedures of driving after they start driving for a period of time. I know many drivers who don’t shoulder check, do the “hand over hand” turning, and even the turn signal. Yes, the turn signal, a simple and essential task that should be done. When I’m driving, I frequently notice people neglecting to use the turn signal when backing out of a parking space or switching lanes on the road. If you have taken driving lessons or read the driving manual for learners or even seen how most drivers drive on the road, then you would know that drivers are supposed to do so. The worst and most ridiculous scenario I’ve encountered before was when I was waiting to turn left on a green light because the car opposite of me was also waiting to turn left, but without the left turn signal. So there I was just waiting for the car to pass so I could turn. It didn’t take too long before I realized what the driver was up to and turned, but is it really that hard to just tap on the lever for the turn signal? I wouldn’t start criticizing their driving skills or yell at them from the car since it would be pointless because they probably can’t hear me.

4 comments:

M said...

Guilty. I NEVER use my turn signals when I back up. I totally forgot you even had to do that.

kawal said...

i am also going to write about same thing

Pau-Lin said...

Ha ha..it's funny how we forget all the lessons we leared in driver's ed...and yes, i admit i never do any shoulder checks and sometimes i intentionally don't use my turn signals. But hey, we can't forget about bus drivers! Have you seen how they make sudden turns into lanes? It's crazy...and they don't know the difference between the accelerator and the brake...good ol' inertia keeps me entertained every morning when I take the bus to skool...:p

M said...

ALWAYS shoulder check. This is quite possibly the most important thing to do while driving. Believe it or not there are people out there who intentionally drive in your blind spot so that they can get the insurance money.
No, but seriously... I've been in 2 accidents from not shoulder checking.
Here are my three driving tips
1. ALWAYS shoulder check
2. ALWAYS look behind you when you back up
3. Drive like others on the road are crazy and unpredictable lunatics who could swerve and hit you for no apparent reason. I swear this is the reason they have less accidents in Europe (Autobahn, anyone?)