Saturday, January 27, 2007

shhhh!...do you mind???

When an area is specified as being a 'silent study area', what do you suppose that means? Exactly, it's an area where you study in silence. Apparently, this concept is too hard for some to grasp. It absolutely drives me insane when I attempt to work on my calculus problems in a study carrel at SFU and I get distracted by loud, social conversations beside me. Here I am, trying to prep for my midterm, and a group of girls think their opinions about why Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are perfect for each other should be shared with everyone around them, especially those trying to work in silence. I could politely tell them to carry on their conversations elsewhere, but I shouldn't have to. Silent study areas are there for students that want to retreat to an area where they can read their course-assigned texts and finish their English papers in peaceful tranquility. I find it incredibly rude when some people believe that it is acceptable for one to yammer loudly on his/her cellphone without having any consideration for the person(s) sitting nearby. The number of areas available for social interactions are equal to or even greater than the number of study areas provided by the school, so how can it be that difficult to find somewhere suitable to carry on meaningless conversations?

Another situation where the disruption of silence is an issue is in lectures. There is no greater sign of disrespect towards a professor, or anyone else for that matter, than to have someone speak out of turn. People pay five hundred dollars to sit in a lecture hall, listen to a prof discuss course material, and hopefully to learn something by the end of the day. If people want to talk during class because they think the lecture is boring, then why waste every one's time, including their own by being somewhere where they don't want to be? If someone can't resist the urge to keep quiet, they should at least have the decency to give people that can suppress from talking a chance to get the most out of their tuition.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I totally understand what you're talking about!! I've been through those countless times and it annoys me too. However, sadly but true, I find myself sometimes doing it too. I must admit there are times when I sit in lecture class and start whispering off to whoever is beside me. It may not be a long conversation but I do start the talking. Apology for those that I've disturbed. What I have noticed about myself is that when I am talking in lecture, I know in the back of my head that I may be bothering others in class, but I don't stop talking. It is almost like I don't care. Mean eh? *shrug* Well, there has to be exceptions to everything. As long as I dont disrupt the class all the time right?

M said...

Hm. I definitely should have read the other blogs before posting mine.
Oh well. This has been my angry rant for the last few months... and I think whispering isn't so bad...seriously, you should have seen these guys in one of my classes last semester... "uh.. could you talk a little louder? Someone in Japan couldn't hear you." Ridiculous.