Monday, April 2, 2007

Misinformed

My last pet peeve is similar to Angela's as it is a complaint about SOME of the administration at SFU. This situation, although it does not involve me directly, it does affect me indirectly. My girlfriend was a former student at the University of Victoria and after her first year decided that she missed home and wanted to come back. Her school of choice in the lower mainland was of course SFU, she tells me it's because of the short commute but I like to think its because she can't get enough of me. Anyways, she came up with me one day near the end of spring semester last year to find out some information about applying for Spring semester 07. She was told to come back in the summer. So summer rolls around, and she comes up to find out when to apply. She is told that early November will be fine. During this time she is at Douglas upgrading a Psyc. course. On November she comes up to hand in her application, and this is a rendition of the response she recieved, "We're sorry, but SFU will not be accepting any late applications". I was with her but not in earshot of the discussion but she told me that she told the woman that she informed that November would be fine. "Oh, well we've had to let some people go and I'm very sorry that you were misinformed" was her response. Danielle, or I couldn't believe it and after a few weeks of fighting there was nothing more we could do. Needless to say she was disapointed as well as myself. In the defence of the initial woman who misinformed us of the application date, people make mistakes however, I have learned that as a team or institution such as SFU, we have to own up to our mistakes and try and set things right. There was no effort to do this.

No comments: