Sunday, April 1, 2007

Thank-you advisors, I will never come back

I am a second year student at SFU and most of you may know that we need to declare our major by third year. Majority of students know what they are majoring in or know what they are going to do for the rest of their life, however, I’m not one of them. Therefore, I was recommended by a friend to go speak with an advisor. “Great idea!”, I thought. I quickly made an appointment with the first advisor to discuss my major. However, that did not work through because she found out that she made another appointment with another student. “No problem” I thought to myself, I’ll just make another appointment with another advisor. Okay, the next appointment is on Wednesday at 11:00am with another advisor. Wednesday morning 10:00am I receive a call from SFU saying that my advisor is sick and can not meet with me and asked me to reschedule. Funny thing is, they don’t reschedule for you, you have to start from scratch and wait for another week for the next available spot. Most of you may react like me, “what kind of advisors do we have up on SFU? Rather they are unorganized or they are sick!” In any case, I went back to SFU’s advising counter and asked to make another appointment. The receptionist says “Sorry, there won’t be any available spots until 2 weeks later”. Yes! I was upset! I wanted to talk to my advisor before my registration day comes so I won’t be taking anymore random courses, but that won’t be happening anymore. So now I am stuck with taking another 4 random courses for summer. Maybe I can finally see an advisor before winter semester comes around.

No comments: