Friday, March 30, 2007

Codes of Conduct

Some commuters are so rude I'm talking about these people who take transit ALL THE TIME, and yet still seem to be completely oblivious to those unspoken expectations of common courtesy involved with riding a skytrain or bus.

Every morning I face the exact same problem: I get on the skytrain and take a seat to allow space for others. By the time I arrive at Lougheed, there is no longer any standing room on the train. People are squashing themselves in, pushing others out of their way, with no one in mind but themselves. Production Way rolls around, and now I need to get off! But are others moving to allow me to exit? No! "Excuse me, pardon me, sorry" I say politely, trying to gently push the immobile people out of my way, and yet frantic because of the impending jingle warning of a closing door. People often even get on the skytrain before I can weave my way off!

I, too, have heard stories of the way people are treated by rude others on transit. Like the girl who rode past her stop because no one would let her out, or the man in a wheelchair stranded wthin a sea of stubborn people (really... who is going to take you spot?!?), or the blind woman to whom no one would surrender a seat.

On a similar note, it really peeves me when people don't take their backpacks off on the bus. There are even SIGNS urging you to practice this act of common courtesy! There have been a few times when the backpack of a standing individual has been so big and so close to my face, that there was little room for me to even breathe! I'M not going to let someone's melly carry-all brush the tip of my nose for a grueling 20 minute ride on the bus! "Excuse me? Could you please take off your backpack..?", and I promise I say this in the nicest possible voice. When it has been me with the backpack on, I apologize profusely and also suffer mild mortification at having so blatantly broken a transit 'code of conduct'. But no. These people snarl at me when I ask them, and give me dirty looks for the rest of the ride! Beware of the nasty commuter!!!

1 comment:

Tony said...

The early bird gets the worm. I blogged first, =P.