Monday, March 19, 2007

Hey hun, how are you?

I can't handle being called "Hun" or "dear" by anyone younger than I am, my own age or in the proximity of my age by a deviation of atleast 5 years. I don't know what these terms are called as a whole, but in my opinion they are unecessary and if used by someone close to my age it is socially awkward. For some reason unknown to me, this does not apply to the elderly. Maybe because I have a certain respect for them, or maybe just because I've decided that that kind of language is something characteristic of their generation. However, there is this girl where I work that called me "honey" and "hun" constantly. Its not so bad once or twice, but a repetition is the worst. Not to mention, she is younger than I am and began calling me this on my first shift. Now maybe if she was a little older and I knew her for longer than 8 hours I would allow the odd hun or honey, but no. I realize that these terms are perhaps an attempt to make me feel comfortable but instead they worked the opposite. This girl was out of line and had to be stopped before her attempt at kindness drove me insane. Im not sure if this is just me, but when this happens it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable and embarassed for the person using it. Instead, why not use my name. I think this is a reason why we have names. Im comfortable with my name and its unique to me. Problem solved.

1 comment:

M said...

yeah I really hate that too.