Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Education System For Immigrants

Even though education is an inseparable part of our life; furthermore, education makes a man perfect, and we can progress in our life through this system. It becomes hard to adjust to new world when you have done already. My main concern is the education system in Canada for immigrants. This system makes me furious and has become one of my pet peeves.

I have done a M.A.(Physical Education) and a teaching degree in India. I was excited when I got my immigration for Canada. I want to continue my teaching profession here, too. In B.C. to get a teaching certificate is not an easy job for immigrants. The institute which issues the teaching certificate is known as the BC College Of Teachers.

W hen I contacted them, they told me about their evaluation fee i.e, $300. Apart from this, I have to do many courses. For example, 6 credits (English), 6 credits (Canadian Studies), 3 credits (Math), 3 credits (Science), and a one year full time course from SFU which is for all immigrant teachers. Moreover, each 3 credits costs $ 600 and 1 year course costs approximately $ 6000. I am doing a part time job, and whatever I am earning, I am spending on my fee. I am disagree with this process.

Next, it is also waste of time and money. BCCT wants all my transcripts from my institute (India), and it takes a long time. Even for these transcripts I have paid lots of money (fee) to my institute in India. I have original mark-sheets with me, but BCCT wanted verification from India.

In addition, in my teaching degree I have already done Math, Science and English for Elementary level. Again I have to repeat all these courses for their requirements.

To conclude, I would like to say that this system has given me too much stress and strain. I want that those who come as permanent immigration ( Qualified Teachers) their degrees should be recognised.


India.

2 comments:

Pau-Lin said...

yuck..that sucks.

M said...

On the one hand, I think that the education system is a little different here, so I could understand why they might make you take maaaaybe 4-6 extra courses?
But it really sounds like they're making you jump through too many hoops. We need teachers in BC!!!!! Why do they make it so hard to become one??